To help students broaden their cross-cultural knowledge base, I created a Hispanic Hero/Heroine game. I used it with a third grade library class but feel free to adapt it for different ages or for family use.
The unit had a number of objectives. Some were just to review. Some involved practice or mastery of common-core or information-literacy skills. And, of course, exposure to windows and mirrors content.
I wanted students to:
- Understand a biography is a true account about a person’s life.
- Read for the main idea
- Identify keywords in the text
- Use keywords to extrapolate the main idea
- Learn how to turn facts into questions
- Explore interviewing skills
- Gain information about a particular person in a particular cultural experience.
Here’s an overview of the second lesson in the unit. ( See the first lesson in this post – list all people you know personally or otherwise who are of Hispanic descent).
- I gave each student their own mini biography (a paragraph long) that I printed from Scholastic’s site for Discovery History Makers.
- I removed the name, and the job description for each person and created a fill in the blank. My name is…. I am a famous…. or I am famous for being a……. To download my template click here.
- Students read the biography and identified the person about whom they were reading.
- Students then highlighted keywords that were repeated over and over or had variations mentioned in the text.
- The looked at the keywords and determined the main idea or why this person was famous.
For example if a student read about Roberto Clemente, he or she may have underlined Major League Baseball, great fielder, great hitter, Most Valuable Player, Baseball Hall of Fame. Then he or she would have said Roberto Clemente is a famous baseball player.
The mini biographies ranged in complexity so I gave the more abstract professions to those who were ready for the challenge and thus allowed for success for a range of students.
Stay tuned for how kids prepared themselves to face the questions the classmate paparazzi prepared for each other.